Sunday, April 4, 2010

VIR April 2010

Little did I know this particular VIR (Virginia International Raceway) would be so historic.

This was the first 24 hour endurance race EVER at VIR.
Second, there were some NASCAR drivers who participated in the race, I know that Tony Stewart was there in car 14 (Stewart-Haas Racing organization, http://www.stewarthaasracing.com/) I know it was him, cuz he passed me quite a few times, also, I think there were other drivers, but I can't speak from personal knowledge so if anyone knows for sure I would appreciate clarification.

The Camaro, Ramrod Racing, had some mechanical issues, we kept burning oil, a plume of smoke followed us around the track, no hiding that we were there...everyone saw and smelled us. Our first driver took the car out for the pace laps, but the smoke from the oil pouring out...was really bad, and when I say bad....it was bad, he came in before we were black flagged. We, well not me...I was the gopher, but the guys worked on it for awhile, then we went back out...and saw smoke again, he came back in and they worked on it for a second time. They made modifications to the engine...I know there was a lot of blue silicone, new hoses and coffee cans...don't ask...it was pretty cool.

We went back out....and dang it...more smoke. He came back in and the guys jumped back on the car. Finally, they found the the oil leak, made the adjustments and the next guy on the team jumped in a off he went. He made it about 3 laps when it just died a peaceful death on the straight way, just past Start/Go flag. Sooo sad to see the tow truck drop the car off at the paddock.

No comments:

Post a Comment